Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Why hello!

Hello world.  How ya doing?  If you haven't met me before, my name is Rhoda...or as I will be known this fall, Mrs. Hahn.  I debated on beginning another blog, but decided it was the best way for me to keep an account of this new journey I'm embarking on.

You see, about two and a half years ago my husband and I moved to Texas from the Chicago area. 

We left jobs, family, and friends to plant our roots right here in the Lone Star State.  For two and a half years I worked my way around random jobs trying to figure out what I was "going to do with my life."  Oh goodness, no one tells you that you'll be floating around after you graduate college trying to figure out what to do with your life!

To make a long story short, I found myself substitute teaching for about six months until I finally asked myself, "What am I doing?  I love students, and I have a degree in Biology, so why don't I look into teaching?"

About a year later, and after three long-term substitute teaching positions, I have been hired to teach high school biology in the fall! I am so excited!  I have a job!  And the way that this job has unfolded has been such a blessing!

my last longterm subbing job classroom.

                                      lovely notes                                  tutorials. bring breakfast = they come!

So this blog, it's a place to reflect on my journey as teacher.  I don't want to lose sight of the purpose of what I do.  I don't want to forget those moments throughout the day that make teaching worth it.  Sometimes life isn't celebrated enough.  This is a place for celebration.
 let's do some science!

I want to teach students not to survive, but to thrive.  So, here we go!

ps: follow my teaching twitter! @mrshahn :)
pps: i promise this blog won't be totally lame and boring.  if you don't have a science background, you'll still be able to enjoy this place. PROMISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment