I tried to design the learning day and future plans around the 5 principles of effective professional learning, as presented by Allison Gulamhussein:
- Professional learning should be significant and ongoing, allowing for time to learn new strategies and wrestle with implementation.
- Ongoing support during implementation.
- Initial exposure that is active and engages teachers to make sense of new practice
- Modeling to help teachers understand a new practice
- Specific to the discipline and grade-level
The rough drafts of my plans are linked below and feedback would be appreciated!
Resources:Gulamhussein, A. (2013). Teaching the Teachers Effective Professional Development in an Era of High Stakes Accountability. Center for Public Education. Retrieved from http://www.centerforpubliceducation.org/Main-Menu/Staffingstudents/Teaching-the-Teachers-Effective-Professional-Development-in-an-Era-of-High-Stakes-Accountability/Teaching-the-Teachers-Full-Report.pdf