Sunday, March 15, 2020

What’s the Most Important Think When it Comes to Distance Learning?


I’m no stranger to distance learning. It’s the reason why I opted for my Master’s in Education through Lamar University. I specifically chose this program of Digital Learning and Leading solely because it was 100% online!

Here’s what I loved about it:
  • I had flexibility to work at my own pace.
  • I was able to work at whatever time I wanted. (Pregnant while sitting on a yoga ball for relief? Sure!)
  • I knew the expectations of my courses because my teachers were very organized with what they presented, and what they said.
  • Constructivist thinking and learning was a top priority—there was no room for worksheets and quizzes (only for one course, but that’s ok!)
  • Many connections were made with my cohort and teachers.
  • Collaboration and discussions were rich!


Of all of these things I experienced in 15 months of distance (remote) learning, the number one thing that made my program so successful was CONNECTION.

From the beginning, discussion boards were set up to introduce ourselves to connect with our colleagues. My professors did an AMAZING job of setting up time to have class discussions as well as individualized collaboration. Their professionalism in a virtual chat was always noticed. And overtime, my professors became more than just someone behind a learning management system; they have grown to become friends and people that I go to for collaboration of new ideas. There’s no way this would have happened without their strategic efforts to CONNECT with me.

As some of us embark on distance and remote learning (a world you may not have ever thought you’d be a part of), use this as an opportunity to really connect with your students. Go beyond disseminating information to them by giving them choice in how they inquire and learn. Assess the quality over quantity of work you will provide them. Create experiences of learning in their own home. This connection and authentic learning will give them huge ownership, responsibility, and self-management. If you trust them to rise to the occasion, they will trust you.

Play dance music when you’re doing a virtual chat. Let others have a chance to talk. Share your pets and give them a glimpse into your home. Crazy? Not really. It's personal. It's connection. Share your feelings and emotions on the state of our public health. CONNECT to the heart. CONNECT to their situations. CONNECT.

No comments:

Post a Comment